Every employee who contributes to the EPF is granted a 12-digit unique number known as the Universal Account Number or UAN. The Employee Provident Fund Organisation generates and distributes the UAN (EPFO). This is then validated by the Government of India’s Ministry of Labour and Employment. This page will walk you through the process of obtaining and activating a UAN.
- All EPF member IDs are managed by a single UAN.
- EPF transfer is simple.
- EPF withdrawal procedure is straightforward.
- EPF statements are easily accessible.
Also read EPF – Employees’ Provident Fund, EPFO Benefits & Process.
But, what is the significance of UAN?
Employee Provident Fund (EPF) operations are now fully digitized, with all EPF-related services available online. As a result, having a UAN is required to access EPF information and services. Employees may use the UAN to do several EPF-related tasks online, such as EPF withdrawal, EPF transfer from one account to another, checking EPF account statements, accessing EPF account passbooks, and applying for loans against EPF.
How to Obtain the UAN
The following are the two techniques that employees can utilize to find their UAN:
- Via the employer: Employees can obtain their UAN by contacting their employers. The UAN can also be seen on the wage slips of employees.
- By entering your Member ID on the UAN portal: Employees who are unable to obtain their UAN through their company may utilize the UAN site to obtain their UAN. Employees must complete the steps outlined below to obtain their UAN on the portal:
- To begin, go to the UAN portal (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/)
- The member must then click on ‘Know Your UAN Status.’ This is located on the right side of the page.
- On the following page, the employee must input all of the needed information, including the state and EPFO office, name, date of birth, and captcha.
- After inputting all of the required information, the member must click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ button.
- The PIN will be sent to the member’s registered mobile phone number. After entering the PIN, the next step is to click on ‘Validate OTP and acquire UAN.’
- The UAN will be sent to the member’s registered cellphone number.
Activation of UAN
Members must first activate their UAN to enjoy all of the features of the EPFO site. The activation of the UAN is a straightforward procedure, as shown below:
- To begin, the user must go to the EPFO website (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/).
- The user must next click on ‘For Employees,’ which is located under the ‘Our Services’ heading.
- On the following page, the employee must select ‘Member UAN/Online Services (OCS/OTCP)’ from the ‘Services’ area.
- The employee must then click ‘Activate UAN’ on the next page.
- Individuals must input their UAN, name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID, and captcha data on the next page. Individuals must then click on ‘Get Authorization Pin.’
- Individuals will be sent an OTP on their cell phones.
- After entering the OTP and confirming the disclaimer box, the user must click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN.’
- Individuals will get their UAN and password by text message to their registered mobile phone numbers. They will need to use these credentials to access the EPFO portal.
Login to UAN
Employees can log in to the EPFO site using their UAN as the login and the new password they set after activating the UAN. After logging in, the following EPF-related tasks can be completed:
- Get the UAN card and passbook.
- View the progress of PF connecting and a list of all member IDs
- View the status of PF transfer claims, file transfer claims, and system-generated transfer claims.
- Change your personal information, such as your phone number and email address.
- KYC information should be updated and KYC papers should be uploaded.
- View helpdesk contact information
Also, read UAN Login – Mobile Number Change in UAN Portal.
Important things to remember about UAN
- A UAN is a permanent account number.
- UAN allows a member’s various EPF accounts to be linked.
- The KYC papers that need to be supplied for UAN linkage include a member’s PAN, Aadhaar, and bank account data.
- Previously held EPF accounts can be linked using digitally confirmed KYC.
- EPF services are available directly through Aadhaar-enabled UANs.
- The EPFO issues UAN to members who have made at least one contribution since January 2014 or later.
- EPF members who do not have UAN and have not made any contributions since January 2014 may request that UAN be assigned to them by the EPFO.
- A member must register his or her cellphone number with the EPFO to activate his or her UAN. He or she can subsequently change the cellphone number associated with the UAN. Any Indian citizen, whether or not they are an EPF member, can apply for a UAN.
- Members with an Aadhaar-enabled UAN can submit their EPF claims to the EPFO directly. Members do not need to contact their employers for claim attestation.
- Online applications are accepted for all UAN-enabled member services.
- UAN-enabled member services are beneficial to EPF members who frequently shift employment and locales.
- After entering the Unified Portal, EPF members can download their UAN card from their online account.
- When moving employment, members who already have UAN should present their KYC and UAN to the new firm. This will make the automatic transfer of the member’s prior EPF account easier.
Change the Father’s Name on the EPF UAN Account
- If you have a UAN account, you must change the correct name to your father’s name. The service is not accessible online. The Joint Declaration Form must be submitted to the EPF service office and authorized by the employer.
- If you are unable to withdraw any funds, your father, who is your next nominee, may do so. To ensure that the process is completed correctly, your father’s name on your PF account must match the name on the papers.
- If the company does not approve the request, you can write to the UAN email directly.
Even if an employee switches employers, his or her UAN remains the same. Employees, on the other hand, will be assigned a new Member ID each time they shift or switch positions. These Member IDs will be associated with a single UAN. Employees who change jobs can submit their UAN to new employers and get a new Member ID.
The following are the primary aspects of the UAN:
- The establishment of the UAN aids in keeping track of how frequently a person changes employment.
- Only after the introduction of UAN was the EPFO granted access to an employee’s bank and Know Your Customer (KYC) information.
- The UAN has helped to limit the number of early withdrawals from the EPF plan.
- The establishment of the UAN aids in decreasing the difficulty that businesses and organizations have while verifying personnel.
UAN documentation requirements
The following papers are necessary for acquiring a UAN:
- Bank information such as the branch name, IFSC code, and account number must be provided.
- Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, Passport, Driving License, and other forms of identification must be supplied.
- Any address evidence that includes the member’s current address must be supplied.
- PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card
- Aadhaar Card is required. Aadhaar Card submission is required since it is connected to the member’s mobile phone and bank account.
- Card issued by the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC).
The following are the UAN’s benefits:
- Members may easily download their EPF statement. They can utilize the EPFO web or send an SMS to take advantage of this service.
- Employers will be unable to withhold employees’ EPF funds owing to the presence of the UAN. Employees can check regularly to see if their company has made an EPF contribution.
- All of the employee’s Member IDs are assigned to a single UAN. As a result, all Member IDs are easily accessible.
- Transferring EPF funds from an old Member ID to a new one is simple with the use of the UAN.
Members currently have access to the following amenities:
- The UAN Card is available for download.
- The passbook is available for download.
- Previous member IDs are seen.
- KYC information can be input.
- Personal information can be changed.
- Check your eligibility for an online transfer claim.
How to Connect Aadhaar to UAN Online?
Subscribers may now use the EPFO website “https://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php” to link their Aadhaar numbers to their UAN. This service, which has been accessible since Diwali Eve 2017, was developed to increase the number of online claims and eventually turn paperless.
The following are the steps to connect Aadhaar with UAN:
- Users can use this service by navigating to the EPFO website’s “eKYC Portal” under the “Online Services” page.
- Users must then click on ‘Link UAN Aadhaar’ to proceed with the process.
- Subscribers must then input their UAN to continue. This will result in an OTP being delivered to their UAN-registered cellphone number.
- After the OTP has been validated, members must input their Aadhaar Number. Another OTP will be provided to their mobile/email, but this time to the one associated with their Aadhaar.
- Once this OTP is validated, and the UAN data match those on their Aadhaar, their UAN and Aadhaar are connected.
Do you want to invest in something more stable than EFP?
Have you ever thought of investing in real estate? You should if you haven’t already.
But why is this the case? Real estate is the safest and most long-term investment option.
But are you confused about where or how to begin?
Let Assetmonk assist you! Assetmonk is a well-known Indian real estate investing website that offers opportunities in Chennai, Hyderabad, and Bangalore. It provides realistic commercial space investment choices such as fractional ownership and crowdfunding for as little as Rs. 25 lacs. IRRs range from 14 and 21%. Our goods, on the other hand, are classified to fit different economic levels of investors. The three categories are Growth, Growth Plus, and Yield.