As the saying goes, “a penny saved is a penny earned.”. Tax planning is one method for lowering your tax burden. know more about tax benefits of investing in real estate and increasing your revenue.
Income tax is the tax that an individual must pay on their earnings. They provide significant money for the government and are critical to the proper operation of government operations. They are also required if the country is to advance economically and thrive. The tax is also calculated based on your income level. Yes, you heard it right! You and I must pay taxes.
Every year, we get reminded by the taxman, the chartered accountant, or our employers that it is tax season. Most likely, your reaction will not be as if you received the latest iPhone. Let’s be honest about it: most of us detest paying taxes. Also, at some point in our lives, we’ve all fantasized about living in a tax-free country.
Aside from the fact that taxes get perceived as a financial burden, a lack of awareness about tax preparation may add to the stress. The bulk of taxpayers have difficulty putting the tax-saving component into their investing equation. Perhaps it is time to begin teaching taxes to children while they are still in school, to prepare them for the inevitable as adults – taxes.
Real estate has long gotten regarded as one of the most popular investment vehicles among investors. The reason for this is that real estate has provided huge returns in a short period, throughout the first decade of the twenty-first century. However, persons participating in the real estate market are somewhat unaware of the taxes, particularly the Long Term Capital Gain (LTCG) tax. They are also unaware of the exemptions that the government provides to real estate investors. According to tax and investing experts, investors unaware of this levy may find themselves in hot water. The income tax statute allows for deductions for different investments, savings, and expenditures made by the taxpayer within a fiscal year.
Everyone wants to invest in a real estate property that will provide a consistent stream of income. Every one of us wants to invest in real estate that earns income rather than costs.
But the problem is tax.
So, how can we smartly invest in real estate to save tax?
But, firstly, we must understand the tax laws applicable to real estate investments.
So, what are the taxes applicable to real estate investments?
Real estate tax laws are a crucial element of every venture. Investors are constantly on the lookout for high-yielding investment opportunities that are also tax-efficient. It is reasonable for investors to believe this since, in the end, even if you receive fantastic returns and pay half of the earnings in taxes, the investment is worthless. As a result, each investor must have a good understanding of the Tax Laws for Real Estate.
Real estate is regarded as a ‘Capital Asset’ under Section 2(14) of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Hence, capital gains are liable to ‘Short Term Capital Gain Tax’ or ‘Long Term Capital Gain Tax,’ depending on the situation.
- Long-term capital gains: Long-term capital gains are when a property gets kept for longer than three years. Long-term capital gains benefit more from low tax rates than short-term capital gains. Long-term capital gains get taxed at a rate of 20%. Long-term capital gains are also ineligible for tax deductions. However, capital gains from the sale of any long-term asset can be claimed under Section 54EC if invested in notified bonds within six months after the asset’s transfer. Only income over the exemption limit is taxed if your total income is less than the exemption limit. Long-term asset losses can only get offset by capital gain income.
- Short-term capital gains: Real estate is more profitable in the long run since it also has tax advantages. Short-term real estate investment is not only dangerous, but it also necessitates more taxation. The income generated by short-term gains gets taxed at a rate of 30%. However, unlike long-term profits, short-term losses can potentially be offset by long-term gains.
What are the real estate investment options to save tax?
- REITs: REITs are similar to mutual funds. Several investors combine their money to invest in real estate. However, the assets get managed by a designated Manager in both situations. However, the underlying asset of a REIT is generally real estate holdings or loans secured by real estate. REITs are also eligible for a few significant tax breaks in India that other forms of Real Estate firms are not. Interest and dividend payments received by a REIT via a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) are tax-free. In this sense, an SPV is a domestic firm where the REIT owns at least a 50% share. A REIT may possess 50% or more of a number of SPVs that own specific real estate properties on its behalf. Any revenue derived from renting or leasing real estate assets directly owned by the REIT (rather than through an SPV) is likewise tax-free.
- Fractional ownership: If you invest through joint ownership, you must pay taxes on rental income and capital gains on the sale of the property. You must pay the same amount of tax as if you were the only owner of the property. However, if you own a rental property with your jobless spouse, you can save tax by making a change. When a property is co-owned, income is taxed exclusively based on the ownership ratio specified in the property’s title deed. All property owners can claim standard deductions separately, allowing you to lower your tax burden. To lessen your tax burden, you can also invest through joint or fractional ownership. If you are searching for a fractional ownership project to invest in, Assetmonk can be your investing partner. We provide commercial real estate properties with rental revenue under our Return Category offerings, with an estimated rental yield of 8%.
- Crowdfunding: According to TDS, a person who makes a payment to another gets entitled to a tax deduction. If you invest in rental real estate, you can claim a 1% tax reduction on TDS on the entire amount paid by you at the time of investment. You can claim a TDS deduction on the interest paid by the property management or developers if you invest through crowdfunding. This deduction is available on annual interest payments over Rs. 5000.
- Home loan: Investing through leverage is one of the most prevalent strategies to claim a deduction on your rental properties. When you borrow money to purchase a home, you can deduct the interest you pay on the loan. However, this deduction is only available for the acquisition of residential property and not for the purchase of a commercial property. Section 24(b) allows you to claim a deduction for interest paid up to Rs.2 lakh. However, the section’s advantages cannot get claimed before the construction gets completed. If you pay EMI during the pre-construction period, you may claim a discount in 5 equal payments when the building gets completed.
One of the most crucial topics to address if you are a tax-paying citizen is how to lower your tax costs. All of these methods can be employed to lessen the overall taxable amount for a given fiscal year. Other ways to earn a tax break also include purchasing a life insurance policy. It is vital to understand how to minimize taxes. It is also important to examine alternative possibilities to maximize your earnings in addition to the deductions. Real estate is one of the better possibilities since owning a home is a dream for many people. Real estate is also a long-term financial investment that grows in value over time.
How to invest in real estate smartly to save tax FAQ’S:
Yes, you can. You can save tax by investing in REITs, CRE crowdfunding, fractional real estate ownership, and home loans.
Investors can save property taxes by investing in REITs, CRE crowdfunding, fractional real estate ownership.
Everything a rental investor does is designed to attract more or better tenants. Here are some tips to help you discover tenants and enhance your rental yields.
Fractional ownership in real estate is a new concept in which individuals can pay a median amount of money to become owners of high-end commercial properties. It is gradually gaining traction as a modern real estate investment paradigm.
The world around us is rapidly changing, making it more developed and convenient. This change is resulting in a shift of housing patterns, making coliving the hottest option for investment and living.
The money you generate from passive income will surely put you well on your way to meeting your financial objectives and bringing you one step closer to ultimate financial freedom. Find out where you stand financially if you’re wondering how your finances currently stack up!
One can protect his retirement savings from a crash by having a diversified retirement portfolio. It involves investing in real estate, mutual funds of stocks, bonds, and even cash. Rebalancing a portfolio is also another way to protect retirement savings.
A very essential part of the investment is knowing what grade you are investing in and what do you expect to earn from it. In commercial real estate, investments are generally categorized on the basis of their key qualities, characteristics, and demand. These rankings are useful in gauging the property’s position in the marketplace.
House flipping is a fruitful business for both part-time investors and full-time flippers. The idea, although new to India, is gaining wide popularity and might make one of the greatest investment ideas for the future.
Aerotropolis or the airport city is an urban development with an airport at the center and aviation-linked businesses growing and flourishing around it. The concept has attracted a lot of investors to work on its greenfield airports of Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Kochi. These are also emerging as great investment hubs and Assetmonk is bringing an investment opportunity within Hyderabad International Airport.
While some people believe that real estate investments are only for the rich as they require large sums of money, real estate can be a great option to keep your assets intact and growing. Here are the Top Reasons Why Entrepreneurs Should Consider Real Estate Investing
As the Indian real estate market shows signs of returning stability, Bangalore, Chennai, and Hyderabad have taken the lead in Commercial real estate. As Mumbai and Delhi NCR witnessed a rise in demand for residential properties.
Every investor that approaches real estate has, at some point, asked whether the real estate was the ideal choice for them. Real estate investments do have enough strength to make you a millionaire but only when approached smartly.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Goods and Services Tax regime and how it will affect you financially.
Portfolio Diversification is the practice of spreading your investments over various investment classes that have different expected risks and returns to reduce exposure to extremely harsh risks. Diversification has many positive impacts on one’s investment ✓ Reduce the impact of market volatility ✓ Great long-term investment ✓ Ensures capital security
Still worried about real estate investment? Here is the complete guide to investment risk management
In the world of real estate, property investment has long been a hot topic. People have shown a desire to invest huge sums of money in residential and commercial properties. However, the fact that remains unspoken is that the investment will only be effective if the purchasing method is carried out appropriately. There are various concerns that you should be aware of, even if they are not immediately apparent to you.
Internal rate of return (IRR) and return on investment (ROI) are two typical metrics for determining how well an investment has fared over time.
If you’re considering real estate investment, you’re about to embark on one of the most rewarding investment experiences of your life. Here are a few pointers to help you invest like a pro!
When it comes to meeting tax requirements, buyers must pay the applicable GST on their property purchase in addition to property taxes. Several adjustments to the GST regime aimed at the real estate sector have been introduced in recent years. To make an informed decision about investing in this industry, potential investors and homebuyers must examine the impact of GST on real estate.
Due to the complicated nature of GST, several myths are being spread in the market to fool customers. Here is what you should know.
Reasons why NRIs are moving to Indian Commercial Real Estate ✓ Growing market ✓ Urban development policies ✓ Growing demand for office spaces ✓ MNCs in India ✓ Government reforms in favor of Foreign Investors
What factors should you consider while selecting an investment tool? In reality, it all boils down to a few factors: the duration of the investment, the volatility of the investment, the risk of the investment, and the validity of the investment. We compared investments in equities, real estate, and digital assets for these factors.